Monday 22 June 2015

Marechera typing

Certainly we were not "centuries" apart, but really quite close in many respects. I do think Americans need to revise their concepts of identity politics, as there are too many implicit assumptions about seeminly essential differences, that were really not so essential after all. My generation was closer to being Africanised than my parents were. In any case, as the WHO has researched, "schizophrenia" in developing countries is not the same as in the industrialized West, as simply being and remaining in the community is often enough to facilitate a cure.
As for if I knew him personally --I did not. But for some reason I have a distinct impression of going through the city with my father and being drawn to someone sitting on the lawn in a central park, typing on his typewriter. I said to my father, "Let's go to talk to him!:and he said, "No, that is a crazy guy. We have to keep away." I'm still not sure if this happened, although I do remember feeling thwarted and defeated. My father does recollect seeing him typing.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity