Tuesday 16 June 2015

why I wrote my memoir as a historical corrective

why I wrote my memoir as a historical corrective:



'via Blog this'



This happened a long time ago.  A therapist is not so much what I need now, but I was severely let down in the past by therapists who were uncomprehending or abusive to me, as I had some degree of complex post traumatic stress disorder.  I find listening to your analyses to be extremely useful, as they help me to see the psychological lay of the land and who is for me or against me.  Your videos make it easier for me to detect narcissistic symptoms.
I think there is some historically given reality that still has sway in Western culture, as the stereotype that I am labeled with because of my origins (which, let's face it, can't be easily shed, and which I wouldn't benefit from by shedding anyway, as I have found), is false and unflattering.
An Australian comedian (who is in other respects than stereotyping in this way a very good comedian) depicts, I think the common Australian perspective of the "white African" as per the following clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDekuCJ4vMc
I think that therapists, too, are susceptible to the deeply incorrect stereotype that prevails about people like me.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity