Friday 2 October 2009

Shamanising is easy

Shamanising is easy, because it is based on the principles of being honest with oneself in the face of subtle pressures to become the kind of person that operates on the basis of fear. Once the shamanistic principle -- that is, of embracing  annihilation rather than accepting an existence based on fear -- is mastered, every other aspect falls into place, and shamanising is facilitated.Let me elaborate. Supposing that somebody treats me as a stereotype in some way-- that is, in a stupid and vulgar way -- so that I have cause to reflect: "The way that person is treating me does not correspond to my internal self, its way of thinking, its proclivities, its genuine loves and hates."

At the moment that I turn to reflect in such a way, I have turned myself into two persons. The one person is that identity that the vulgar, stupid person is addressing. I am able to borrow the eyes of the vulgar one, to view how they see the world, in terms of how they are treating me. It seems that they see me in an exceedingly odd way; and, as I reflect upon the oddness of their perspective, I also ask myself: "Have I given them any cause whatsoever to view me in this way?"

Perhaps certain aspects of myself could be perceived as a mere conventionalism of femininity, or of African identity, and so on.

As I reflect in this way, I experience an automatic distancing from vulgarity. The part of me that desires nobility and power desires to distance itself as far as possible from the idiotic assumptions of the perceiver and his associated tropes of identity.

Necessity, thus, gives my spirit wings -- and before long I have flown out of another strait-jacket of conformity, as a result of having borrowed my perceiver's eyes, and used his will to power to work against him. My mind suddenly becomes aware of opportunities available to me if only I'd apply more energy to them. This is the result of not remaining in the normative, unified framework of having one single identity to work with.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity