Tuesday 23 January 2007

and ever, amen!

"Dialogue" with my father who drops in, impromptu:

[after a very long interaction with Mike about sports..}

"So, Jen, what are you up to these days? Did you ever get going with that course you were going to do?"

Me: Yes. I've made a lot of progress with it, actually.

"Oh. The last time I heard you were waiting for something to start."

Me: Yes, it's like that in academia. Always waiting for something...

"I know all about that! My work blah blah blah blah blah."

Me: gets up and walks off to the kitchen. Looks for something to eat. Comes back, at a leisurely pace and sits down again after 5 minutes.

"So, what was the course you were doing anyway?"

Me: Have a guess!

"It was, er...Masters or something wasn't it?"

Me: No. Try again.

"...er..."

Me: You get two more guesses. If you fail both, you're out!"

Mike: I'll give you a clue: It's a doctorate.

"Oh, a doctorate! What is it in?"

Me: English and communication studies.

"Ah I see."

Me: Yes, I didn't expect you to already have this information, due to my small female brain!"

"[softening tone as if to acknowledge the implicit truth of a self-deprecating statement]... Yes, well. [As if to imply, "but what can anybody really do?"] So!..... MIKE.....!."

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity