Sunday 22 March 2009

why I am not a schoolmarm


“A thought, even a possibility, can shatter and transform us.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

I'm very averse to that which is tame -- including tame theories of pedagogy / epistemology. That is the primary reason why I am not today a schoolmarm. I cannot feed you, like a mother bird, the bits of worms and dregs you need to grow up to be a healthy swan.

Pedagogy as a form of motherhood requires that one is well established in society -- if not as one of its cornerstones then at least as one of the immovable bricks in the wall. The notion of firmness and stability as a feature of knowledge are imparted by oneself being firm and stable -- by not being subject to much change. The experence that knowledge changes one is alien to conventional notions of pedagogy.

2 comments:

Jennifer Cascadia Emphatic said...

I've elected to do private kickboxing lessons, now, so that I can learn. It seems that after many years of doing various exercises, and generally getting fit, I haven't learned as much about sparring combat as I had expected to.

Hattie said...

Learning is all about self discipline, and that's a fact. Although George Orwell once said that there was no way to teach Latin verb conjugations to ten year old boys without beating them. The value of that practice and what was learned by it is disputable.
If you don't have a maternal instinct, so what. You can still teach. As I teacher, I was not maternal.
Relating this to your post on my blog: it is not necessary to be "stern dad" to teach, nor is it necessary to be "kind mom."
I'm an autodidact myself. I like to learn in solitude. And the reason for that is that when it comes to "book learning" most people's minds are too slow for me to jog along with them. I get the gist before I have the details, though, and that's where the grind is for me. My peers in school seemed to learn the details without seeming to understand the why of things. So although smart in some ways, I could seem very slow in school, which is why I learn best on my own. For "skills" I need to observe and listen and imitate.
But creativity is different. That has to grow on its own.

Cultural barriers to objectivity