Friday 4 November 2016

Professional Victimhood - Vulnerable narcissists, empathy fatigue, cultural decay - YouTube

Professional Victimhood - Vulnerable narcissists, empathy fatigue, cultural decay - YouTube



The Victim Olympics is very strange and is a core part of contemporary Western culture. It leads to people speaking a totally different language, whereby expressing solidarity with them is viewed, somehow, as "stealing their identity". Anybody who expresses sympathy or solidarity with someone who has been afflicted with this illness is viewed as having a malicious motive. You really have to reason things back to front to even try to understand how that works, which I cannot do. Once you make friends with them, or give them anything, they become your number one enemy, because they really deeply believe that you are set on stealing their identity.
This attitude prevents even normative politeness. When I first entered Western culture in an employment situation, I once pronounced that to my regret I had been a few minutes late to work because I'd missed the train, and I was greeted with, "Nobody is interested in your excuses!". But an excuse, in polite society, is a recognition of social norms, not a plea to have different standards applied to oneself than to others. I had no idea, back at that time, why people were being so dense about normal, social manners.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity