Friday 31 July 2009

a realistic grounding

Speaking metaphorically (and also not necessarily so, but directly about the sport of boxing and what it teaches), it's a sphere of activity into which no "projections" are allowed to enter. Boxing teaches you about the nature of an emotionally-unmediated reality. Sure, you can try out your mental concepts for winning in the arena. But they'd better not be based on narcissistic ego-swellings of any sort. If your point of view is not realistic, you WILL end up wearing it. That is what is so sweet about it.

Boxing returns reality to its proper, central place in human relations. It makes each fighter thoroughly responsible for every choice they make (and the payback is split second by split second.)

If I decide that I'm going to be the big fighter on the day, and that my opponent is just a silly little wuss, to the degree that I have been erroneous in my judgement, I will be cut down to size. My failure in making the correct judgement will teach me a lesson not to do it again in the future.

Boxing also gives you a solid basis in reality (once you've learned this principle and begun to apply it.)

Whilst the rest of the world might be going to hell in an ideological handbasket, the boxer remains firmly grounded in reality.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity