Monday 6 July 2009

Logic and the bridge

With Nietzsche, one moves (towards transcendence) from a state of psychological lack of integration towards one of hierarchical internal integration.

With Bataille, one moves in the opposite direction -- away from a repressive unity of self towards a lack of integration and towards disunity. (This frees the self that was previously trapped by rigid societal mores from its objectification in these terms.)

With Marechera, the movement "across the bridge" is somewhat in the direction of Bataille -- towards "sin" or "evil" and self-disintegration -- But then there is also a return to the holistic view of the self "in the mirror". For Marechera, a movement away from logical thinking releases the authentic selfhood. And "logic", in his sense, is identified as being a "kind of transcendence". The linear nature of logic, however, prevents a person from seeing reality as it really is, so this kind of transcendence is to be eschewed.

1 comment:

Mike B) said...

I used to move towards destroying my self as a good wage-slave every Friday night at the Oasis in Menlo Park, California. By the time midnight rolled around, I'd hop on my 1963 Rollfast girl's bike and peddle my way, four miles home. I did this for years and cops never got me, even though many times I had had not only pints of Anchor Steam Beer, but every once in awhile a snort of coke and/or a toke of weed.

On Saturdays, I'd reconstitute myself with a deep listen to KPFA's blues program, right after KZSU's blues program...and then a train ride to Frisco for some live music and double espressos at the Cafe Trieste.

Marechera, sorry I never met ya...

Cultural barriers to objectivity