Tuesday 28 December 2010

Addendum to the note below

My views are simply dialectical. I don't think that having a category of identity gives anybody a particular moral status or supplies a justifying cover for their actions. I don't know what it means for someone to "understand" Australian culture in the sense of acqueiscing to it or paying it lip service. One can understand something and still be opposed to it. Perhaps developing understanding is a necessary element for becoming opposed. Somebody can be innocent, for all sorts of reasons, cultural background included. I imagine that MRAs are extremely innocent in terms of understanding the harm they do to women.

My point about understanding the psychology of innocence is that it is helpful to factor it in as something the escalates the psychological violence that those who remain "innocent" do to each other. I wasn't suggesting, for a moment, that those who proclaim their innocence should be let off any hook.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity