Sunday 23 January 2011

On Satire and some of its limits



Kudakwashe Rukanda
satire and mockery are the food of friendship and good company in Zim. If you are pissed of by these references and your friends know, they will try to piss u off while taking comfort in the mistaken belief that you will not really be pissed!

Jennifer F Armstrong It's funny --I use a lot of satire and mockery myself. My memoir is really a kind of satire concerning myself -- which has caused some Westerners, whom I ought to have been able to rely upon, to think I am "down" on myself or that I have a mental illness.

At the same time, if you were to actually read my memoir, you would see that there were tremendous pressures on me not to grow up at all.  That is why I deeply resent it when people use childlike terms to address me. After all the strength of mind I've had to employ just to get beyond patriarchal mores, I cannot stand being treated like a small child as if my efforts had paid no gains.

Let us suppose those referring to me as a "girl" are mocking from a position of black comedy, whilst allowing me to have a bit of fun with the term, "kaffir", or black servitude.    Is it now okay, again, to refer to grown Shona men as "boys" and grown Shona women as "girls"?    This kind of to and fro could be exhilirating, but somehow I suspect that if I laughed and called you a silly old kaffir at this point, you would pissed Kuda.


No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity