Thursday 14 April 2011

Breaking the ideological spell

I have long found benefit in the method by means of which paradigms are altered. It takes a certain amount of focus and concentration, however -- states of mind that belong more to a monastic culture than to present day chaotic Capitalist culture. Actually, the reason why I have been able to see through so much patriarchy is because I have permitted it to reveal itself to me -- even enticed it to do so. It used to have such a hold on me before, not because I didn't see through a lot of the bullshit and pretentiousness, but because somehow some peculiar archetype of male heroism had lodged itself in my mind. So, even when I saw the nonsense, I still held out for some kind of manifestation of superior states of being. It was as if I had been bewitched.

It was only through allowing males to act out their actual inner states of mind, in all pomposity and ridiculousness, that I managed to see to it that the spell was broken. The more inappropriate (and, hence, foolish) the attacks against me became, the more I began to find a way around my previous idealism. In the end, the misogynists themselves were responsible for breaking the patriarchal spell.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity