Friday 21 October 2011

On the importance of.

Part of what bullying is would be the perception of bullying. There are various cultural, economic and social factors that can insulate one against the perception of bullying, thus making it seem to have no impact. For instance it seems that according to contemporary values and perceptions, I must have been bullied a lot as a child, but I had no particular perception of that. I was often in a protective bubble of the society of my classmates or else in the sense of being culturally detached and not aware of very much that interested other people. Yet from an American point of view, certainly, I would say, many experiences in my life constituted being bullied.

To reflect over my life, I have only ever been susceptible to actually feeling like I’m being bullied when I have lost any protective bubble and I am intent on being earnest. Earnestness is perhaps American too. I don’t feel that I have any cultural business being earnest.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity