Thursday 10 November 2011

On being monitored

As those who are able to discipline themselves so as to obtain even a minor capacity of understanding of my blog posts will know, I come from an extremely right wing culture.


Therefore, nothing is more second nature to me than monitoring myself.  I monitor my emotions; I monitor my reactions. Right now, I am monitoring my blood pressure.  Nothing is more "second nature" to me than this alertness in relation to authoritarian disapprobation.


I'm an extremely subtle reader of it -- most of the time, reading it accurately, but occasionally overdoing the reaction in my zealousness.   I end up reading something into a situation that isn't in fact there.


Blame this on the authoritarian nature of my upbringing.  I'm capable of reading danger singles with extreme ease -- with inculcated ease.   My "sixth sense', my intellectual peripheral vision, is par to none.


If nothing else, fighting is in my blood stream.  


Second to that, is monitoring oneself -- the cost of living in an authoritarian culture.  Day and night, monitoring oneself.
STAY SANE AND SAVAGE Gender activism, intellectual shamanism

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity