Thursday 19 September 2013

Headless

I think Bataille is best understood as a surrealist.  This is not a claim that he is a superlative surrealist, or whatever.   When I state a principle, sometimes the weight I am prepared to give to that is undecided.  In this case, it is undecided.
But certainly, a mutilation of the eyes or of the stabilizing  (transcendence seeking) structure of the mind can lead one to have very interesting visions or hallucinations.   That, I think, is Bataille’s recipe for enjoyment.
Now, certainly, consider my situation and why he and I resonate.  This is much less to do with my appreciation for theory than it has to do with the fact that my own transcendence was severed and taken from me – very much against my will.   This was for all sorts of reasons, but primarily because I lost my culture and my country.   I suffered a really significant mutilation and had to make do.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity