Wednesday 31 December 2014

Attitudes Towards Immigrants | Clarissa's Blog

Attitudes Towards Immigrants | Clarissa's Blog



One of the weirder things that happened to me was that my agenda of what I saw as adapting to the modern, new situation, was ideologically attacked so heavily. I was just trying to please and appease, but people saw in this something very sinister. They accused me of playing games with them and trying to be what I am not and of not knowing who I am and of deserving punishment. And this is the weird thing, that by going out of my way to do what I imagined was expected, I invited these attacks.
I saw on a YouTube video recently the principle that if people feel they have a moral obligation to you but they do not have a legal obligation, they will resent you heavily and punish you to vent their feelings. I suspect, once again, that people feel they need to have this nefarious “other” colonial identity to measure themselves against, and when I do not present myself to them as evil, they become outraged.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity