Sunday 24 August 2008

transitional objects

See pp 528-529 in Marc Howard Ross ,Political Psychology, Vol. 16, No. 3, 1995,Psychocultural Interpretation Theory and Peacemaking in Ethnic Conflicts .

It concerns “transitional objects” and it is what I have always known, as an adult, concerning my different way of processing “the concrete” (or, I should rather say, the simple, sensory) aspects of my environment. I don’t process these in the same way as most Australians do at all.

My transitional objects -- those that remind me that I belong to the world, that I have a reassuring place in it, and that I can feel secure -- are things like the early morning breeze (reminds me of travelling to school on my bike), wood smoke in the early evening as night closes in, long fields of clipped grass and the virility of sports fields, hedged with trees, polite greeting rituals, the sound of roosters crowing, the feeling that we are all striving for a certain rhythmic harmony in life.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity