Sunday 17 May 2009

my emotional block


It's the end of the conference -- finally, I feel released!

Mon dieu. Overall it was a success, although I rattled, somewhat, one person, because of a certain social ineptitude that wasn't only related, in the initial case, to severe jetlag and culture shock, but also to the reality that I'd identified her as a social conservative in manner and attitude, and felt immediately out of my depth. I haven't dealt with social conservatives since I endured my experience of being bullied in the workplace about 15 years ago. I've avoided them. Like the plague.

I realise, too, that I have some Marecheran tendencies, that can wear thin. Standing at the top of the bell-tower overlooking Oxford, I exuded: "Being here reminds me of my old skydiving days, and it's in moments like these that I reflect on how I don't want to repeat them."

2 comments:

Hattie said...

If you had said that to me I would have interpreted it as a humorous remark and laughed. What a funny way to look at things! But also very creative.
Actually, England is the oddest country I have ever been in and the hardest one for me to understand. It's because I expect it to be like America but it is not at all. Germany, Switerland, France, Italy, Spain: no problem! I feel right at home in those countries.
What is it about the English that eludes me, in spite of all I know about them, I wonder?

Jennifer F. Armstrong said...

but I was speaking to a czech

Cultural barriers to objectivity