Tuesday 30 June 2009

nietzsche / natural hierarchies


Perhaps it is all down instinct, but I do not mean "instinct" in the animalistic sense as many who would be simplistically animalistic would like to understand the term.
Rather, it is the instinct that I have in me, having become accustomed to the notion that authority is only genuinely authoritative if it is prepared to risk itself (and preferably in terms of life and death)that causes me to reject present day patriarchal posturing.

The male authorities of my childhood were those who spoke little, but spoke kindly and authoritatively. I encountered NO masculine posturing, during my childhood -- nothing that tried to create the dynamic whereby the male set himself up to pick holes in my demeanour whereas I was expected to struggle along in a masochistic fashion, in a sabotaged -- and consequently frustrated -- effort to "improve" myself.

This kind of male power -- besides being self-evidently false and duplicitous to the inner eye of instinct -- also fails to be authoritative in my eyes, since it does not put itself on the line in terms of risk, but rather seeks to preserve a little fiefdom for itself, guarded and defended by mere postures.

But I have already put myself on the line MORE THAN THIS -- and over and over again, too.

Consequently, I have no respect for THIS KIND of human authority.

(One would have to outdo me in the stakes of risk, in order to gain my respect and become authoritative.)

It shows that there is a NATURAL hierarchy of honour, that at least is possible for human societies, based on instinctive recognition.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity