Friday 5 June 2009

Putting the pressure on


Giving a paper at a conference at UWA home turf today was easier than I'd expected. Compared to Oxford, the nature and shape of INTELLECTUAL pressure was very minimal indeed (no doubt due to being on home turf).

I have a few ideas that I want to write down, some day in the future, about intellectual pressure and how much I enjoy it.

My commentary in this potential article will muse upon how it can be that when everybody's focussed on a task, with a high level of profiency and skill (and not just energy and pure determination), a kind of group pressure develops that can raise everbody's skill levels and competencies, just by being part of the group.

It led me to think of how different this condition of "being under pressure" is from the average garden variety social darwinist's notion that upholds a view that condemnation or taunting are useful techniques to put a person "under pressure"  to determine whether they belong among the ranks of "the fittest".

Nothing -- and I repeat, NOTHING -- could be more poorly thought out than this extremely common notion of what it means to be put "under pressure" in a way that builds the character.

http://unsanesafe.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity