Sunday 30 August 2009

Last night's dream

Ever since I have returned to Perth from the UK, I have had occasional dreams that I am back there. Usually the obsession of my mind is transportation in some way, and the fear of losing my luggage, coupled with a secondary reconsideration and indifference about losing my luggage. A couple of nights ago, for instance, I left some of my suitcases, which were full of raw vegetables, on a city bus, because I could only carry two large suitcases full of shopping. I wondered if the bus company would send the other ones on to me, but I concluded that they wouldn't as I hadn't left a forwarding address.

In last night's dream, I turned a corner on the street, towards UWA, which turned out to be Oxford University, New College. The streets were very labyrinthine, so I immediately lost my way upon turning the corner. I got out of the car to ask directions, and I was immediately immersed in the labyrinth, and the mardi gras that was taking place.

I had to join the party -- which had only women in it -- because my car had been taken, by now, and put on a big truck by a big crane. I thought I'd have to pay to get it back, but it was just being removed for the mardi gras.

I was in a room where there were benches to sit, and the women were getting changed. I found some vaseline and started to apply it to my face, and then I thought, "I wonder whose it is, and why I'm doing this?" I found that gravity was pushing me towards the door, as I sat on the bench, and I tried to explain this to the others, but it didn't bother them.

2 comments:

Jennifer F. Armstrong said...

Vaseline on the face has to do with boxing. I think the image comes from reading Misha Mertz book on boxing, and the women sharing the change rooms in the boxing gym. I found her approach to life non-threatening although she is a full contact female boxer. I would feel comfortable in the company of people like her, who own their aggression. That is why I felt like gravity was pushing me in a certain direction. Actually, I was leaning against two of these women and towards a door. But I don't know what the door was for. I think it represents a leap of faith -- skydiving.

Seeing Eye Chick said...

Skydiving, Flying dreams. You will love that. Its all these Shamanic explorations, its starting to take root.

Thanks for the explanation on the vaseline, I did not know that. Good point about the women who own their aggression. I know exactly what you mean.

Cultural barriers to objectivity