Sunday 20 January 2013

How to make the deadline of life work for you

How to Avoid a Midlife Crisis | Clarissa's Blog


I must say that as I approach official 'mid-age' this year and look back upon the past, I certainly have much to be proud of in the kind of person I've become.   I was severely unhappy in my twenties, not believing that the outward expression of myself was the real me.   That's actually why I went so deeply into a certain line within Continental philosophy, melding it with African intuitive understandings of ontology -- and came out on top!

I can't believe I completed the project before the deadline -- before middle age.

I can now age very, very happily indeed, knowing that I am fully in control of the process.   Weirdly, enough in my recent videos, I see some completely Portuguese lines, which totally makes me laugh.   I look like I'm developing very aristocratic, self-determined characteristics.  (I'm only one eighth Portuguese, but these genes seem very dominant.)

Mike is the same.  He recently turned 68 and seems like a sensual child.  He just does as he pleases.

A lot of the men's rights rants consist of threats that men will no longer cater to the needs or demands of women and will go their own way and "then women will really be sorry...they will come crying back to us, begging us to take on our old roles" (paraphrased).

I think the movement needs to give up on that assumption, because history doesn't reverse.   Women are not going to beg for the old roles.  The only way is forward.

The capacity to move forward creatively is highly redemptive, though.  The studies of Bataille and Nietzsche I have made, along with the example of Marechera to a certain extent, provide extremely useful models.

The MRAs, though, want to return to the old standards of the patriarchal religions, where a man had authority simply by being a man -- i.e. not a woman.

They ought to be able to see why this pattern doesn't work for many women, but it's very hard to see the bigger picture whilst one is insistent on licking one's wounds.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity