Tuesday 28 January 2014

Immanence and formlessness

What cured me of a lot of things was to stop reaching for transcendence.  For example, I recently made a very ironic comment to an American about logical consistency and politics, and she arched and complained that she couldn't understand what I said and furthermore didn't like my tone.  In fact, as I had explained I was commenting on the implicit tone of another person by drawing out the logical implications of their comments if they were to be made wholly consistent.

But then I remembered that Americans don't understand irony.

I could take this as hurtful in terms of how I would have liked the world to be, or I could draw painful conclusions about the limits of communication, but none of that is necessary.  I already understand the psychology of defending oneself by complaining that the other person's communication skills are not up to par.   It's very common.  So I don't experience heartache at my inability to change the world.   That's not up to me.  The world is what it is.  I fold into its general formlessness and continue along.  This is how Bataille's concepts of immanence and formlessness have been very good for my mental health.  Very good indeed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GinL1CPz8vw

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity