Sunday 21 September 2014

Zarathustra & achieving objective self-knowledge




Nietzsche was very concerned with the achievement of self-knowledge.  He was trying to draw our attention to the means of achieving objective self-knowledge by understanding ourselves and our subjective limitations.   This is a paradox, if ever there was one, which is why the Nietzschean method is typically misunderstood.
"And whatever may still overtake me as fate and experience — a wandering will be therein, and a mountain-climbing: in the end one experienceth only oneself."
XLV. THE WANDERER.
"And when they misunderstood me, I, like a fool, indulged them more than I did myself: for I was accustomed to being hard with myself, and often even took revenge on myself for this undulgence."
THUS SPOKE ZARATHUSTRA, "The Home-coming".
"But he has discovered himself who says:  This is MY good and evil;  He has silenced thereby the mole and dwarf who says:  'Good for all, evil for all.' "
All my progress has been an attempting and questioning--and truly one has to LEARN how to answer such questioning!  That however -- is to my taste:
not good taste, not bad taste, but MY taste, which I no longer conceal and of which I am no longer ashamed."
"Of the spirit of gravity".

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity