Friday 31 October 2014

Questions about Psychoanalysis, Part I | Clarissa's Blog

Questions about Psychoanalysis, Part I | Clarissa's Blog



I wonder what sort of reading an analyst would have to do to discover that I was suffering from intergenerational war trauma, passed down through my father’s side of the family, or to really understand the closed system of culture I came from (the media blackout preventing any negative reporting of our war efforts, which all suddenly fell through with a matter of weeks when it was announced that we had suddenly lost the war we may have thought we were winning). And then there was the fact that adults did not speak to children, who were brought up at arms length, so I could not have known any of this unless I pieced it together myself many years after it occurred. I would not have been able to give any indication of what was gnawing at me, because I simply did not know enough of my own history. And if I knew so little myself, an analyst from a different society and culture would certainly have to spend a few intensive years not only reading but putting together the parts of the jigsaw.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity