Saturday 13 December 2008

Looking for signs of health in the gender wars


Now that the political change has been wrought in the USA, and the scene is now set for a complete change in consciousness, a few words might be uttered about how extremely unattractive the culture of the past eight or so years has been. Ok, that's done.

One of the points I've been learning about myself over the years now drops ripe into my consciousness, from above. It concerns my aesthetic sensibility, and indeed how that is wrapped up in my sexual senses, and let it be said that an ability to enjoy and thrive upon complexity is what I most admire in anything within my sphere that I might chance upon.

Conversely, a renunciation of complexity, a dislike for it, signals to me poor psychological health. (Note how the lyre bird increases its repertoire of noises in its song, in order to attract a mate.)

In Marechera's work, however, I see precisely the opposite tendency of registering and embracing all the notes of a deeply complex and even twisted life. The deftness of his grasp, accompanied by his interpretations, which deftly reproduces all of the twisted mess of life right up to the higher notes of ecstasy, reverberates upon female consciousness as superlative health.

2.

The point I'm creeping up to must now follow. Those who stand up on their soap box and pronounce their seeming "insights" -- namely that all men are one way, and all women are another -- are actually demonstrating their emotional unhealthiness. The ability to make fine distinctions -- not just in terms of a particular women's personality and disposition, and the different notes its capable of hitting, but in terms of differentiating between one particular woman and another -- is all lost on them.

To be unable to discern right from wrong, change from more-of-the-very-sameness, this is not any advertisement for a good state of health. That which it advertises, should it have to be mentioned, is a state of sinking, in despair, beneath an ocean of cultural and social difficulties.

Evolutionary psychology does not say to women or to men that all the men and all the women are competing on the basis of some easily interpretable signs and signals. One would have t be of rather average psychological health oneself, to fall for someone who displays the features of a gender stereotype. The notes that such a manifested idea hits suffices for some, though, I'm quite sure.

As for me, I look for complexity in others as a sign of health. Should I see that they are quite capable of enduring with their complexity, I start to show some interest. The dumb persistence of the stupid tide of beef is not complex.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity