Monday 5 April 2010

Dream

So I had a disturbing dream last night. The only way I can get it out of my head is to write about it. I believe it has to do with the ubiquity of conservatism and my distaste for it.

I am at this British university learning veterinary science. The Zimbabwean lecturer is explaining the harm in clipping dogs ears. They lose their function. I ask something about British dogs and he says that really he is only talking about small Zimbabwean dogs.

Then we leave, and there is battered chicken at the exit of the lecture hall (which now that I reflect on it could have been made out of the legs of small Zimbabwean dogs).

In the quadrangle, I am overcome with thirst, but I am grateful to have finally descended the stairs to "ground level". I can tell that this is so because I see a busy street with buses going to and fro. There is a wedding taking place in the quad, where there is also a small church. I don't know anybody in the wedding party, but they don't know that I'm just passing through. I go to the water vendor, and help myself to a plastic cup, and fill it full of water, which I drink. Then somebody approaches me to ask if they could also have some water. "Are you a member of number 6 bus stop?" I apologise that I am not, and therefore they cannot use my licence to obtain water.

I decide to leave right away, but even though the quadrangle seems small, the ground is becoming increasingly steep. I eventually find I am trying to pull myself up vertically, near the rear of the church. The shape of the church seems to have become distorted based on an earlier perspective of it from the front. The rear of it is very small and narrow, and I am slipping back into the quadrangle. Also I am not assisted in my climb by the fact that I am wearing a huge white, puffy wedding dress. I am in extreme danger of falling backwards down the cliff.

Therefore, I wake up.

1 comment:

profacero said...

Ceremonies, seeking water, difficult travelling, PhD dream? Just a thought.

Cultural barriers to objectivity