Thursday 15 April 2010

I am a passive consumer: Let me consume harshness!

I remember once being a state of mind whereby I was as naive as the "teabaggers". What I was really seeking was a sense of gritty reality, rather than the numbness of bureaucratised life. In the ultimate sense, what I was seeking was a rite of passage. I had a deep psychological need to be tested by reality/society and affirmed by it. It was not easy for me to find the route to this experience. I found it only very much later in my life, through martial arts, skydiving, intellectual questing and so on. But in my early twenties or so, and even for a few years after that, I thought that the way for me to meet my quest was for all bureaucratic influences to be removed.

Now I look around me and I often see the same syndrome. There are people who want life to be more "real". They want to be tested and affirmed by forces greater than they are. They don't know how to get there, though.

In the case of all too many their solution is: "Life ought to have more harshness in it. Let me consume harshness, by imposing it upon YOU!"

Obviously this kind of solution is destined not to satisfy.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity