Wednesday 6 October 2010

On Morality

My viewpoints can often be misunderstood -- but always to others' detriment, rather than my own. This often happens when it is taken that I am making moral statements of some sort, which I am not.

I tend to avoid making judgments exclusively in moral terms. Rather, my understanding of the world is in terms of psychology, which is completely at odds with any point of view that takes a predominantly moral perspective on the meaning of human behaviour. My feminism is also not derived from working directly with moral principles. Instead, I work directly with psychological principles, to see where systems commanding social conventions end up, in my view, malfunctioning -- producing deadened lives instead of healthy human beings.

I find no personal pleasure in drawing moral meanings from what happens to others, whether they meet with fortune or misfortune. I forget, therefore, that others still operate in this way, that ego is most often directly invested in pushing for recognition of its value through the rhetoric of morality. When people ask me questions that I do not really understand, it is probably because they are thinking in a moral fashion. I guess it is presumed that my ego is bound up with all of my activities, and that I communicate in order to fashion my own version of moral superiority.

If this were really the motivation behind my various modes of communication, it ought to be much clearer to most people from the outset that my modes of communication -- all of them -- fail according to these terms. Generally, the kind of mockery I engage in is as much a mockery of myself as of others. I do not expect to gain moral superiority by this or any other means.

I also see no point in trying to morally justify myself in any context, since the human being is an inherently unjustifiably entity, by virtue of its contingent nature. I find that some people ought to be mocked by me more than others, but that is either because their existence is a novelty that amuses me, making me feel pleasure, or because the meaning of their behaviour is already very transparent to me in a negative way.

Looking at life from a broad perspective, I do not think that others are to blame for what has happened to me, nor that I am to blame for myself. I find both positions to be too absurdly earnest to the point that they make absolutely zero sense.

I don't even think the limelight is for the very few, or that I have any particular essence of identity that can infringe on the identity of any others.

Should I happen to say something, or refrain from saying something, the only influence I can have is in the way that others interpret me. My writing and my speech have no direct moral effect, nor is it even possible for them to have this effect, even if I intended it. If I write a book, this does not stop anybody else from writing a book. If I say something in the book that someone disagrees with, this does not stop anyone from standing up so as to present their own views.

Nothing I say of do not say can take away anyone else's power.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity