Wednesday 2 February 2011

Nietzsche's primeval quest and shamanism


  • Jennifer Armstrong


    What I'm getting at is the idea of shamanistic doubling. If I have a deep problem, it probably has its roots in society. For instance,when society undergoes some significant historical shifts, this will have an effect on me and people like me.

    The idea is that if I look inwards to solve my problem, I am seeking to help myself (I suppose that is the narcissistic impetus, if you will), but on the side of my shamanistic double, I am also doing much more than helping myself. Inevitably, if I solve my own problems, I will also have the insights that would enable me to solve other people's problems.
    52 minutes ago ·
  • XXXXXXXX
    I don't think looking inwards is narcissistic at all. Quite the opposite, Narcissists look to the outside TO solve their inner turmoil. On the other hand, looking within to understand yourself, you realise you really cant save anyone else and can only lead by example.
    46 minutes ago ·
  • Jennifer Armstrong Yeah, but I don't think that's how it works. I tend to use the word "narcissism" in the Freudian sense -- such that we have healthy narcissism which only becomes unhealthy if taken too far. So, any kind of self-care or concern for one's own well-being is "narcissistic". Only, in this limited sense, that is a GOOD thing.
    28 minutes ago ·
  • XXXXXXXX
    Different horses for different courses..there are labels for everything these days..
    22 minutes ago ·
  • Jennifer Armstrong It does lead to some misunderstandings. I find the term useful in relation to understanding aspects of Nietzsche's "egotism". It's core seems to be healthy self-love that is related to an infant's struggle for survival against greater forces. So, in other words, its a very primary sensation that Nietzsche is tapping into and trying to appeal to, in his writings.
    17 minutes ago ·
  • XXXXXXXX
    Its buried as much as possible by 'society'.
    14 minutes ago ·
  • XXXXXXXXX Thats what I love about Nietzsche, you might not like him, but you just have to listen.
    12 minutes ago ·
  • Jennifer Armstrong
    I think we listen because he is capable of talking about these things that we partially remember from when we were infants, which have become long buried. This is what draws us to his writings. However, most people do not see him as a shaman trying to effect a cure of himself and others -- which is how I see him. They're looking for an ally in some other kind of fight. They see him as a prophet for Men's Rights or something fairly conventional like that.

    Unfortunately, because we do not have a field of discourse called "shamanistic studies", people end up projecting into Nietzsche's writings whatever they are desiring. They want to feel powerful JUST AS THEY ARE.

    They do not want to see things differently (as the shaman urges them to do). They do not want to change.
    A few seconds ago ·


  • Jennifer Armstrong
    Without "god" there is ONLY process, or processes. There is no eternal soul, hence no essences. Why depend on others to attribute qualities of power or value to you, when they, themselves, lack essences? There is nothing to guarantee that their perceptions are the right ones, or that they go deeper than your own.

    I've come to see Nietzsche as a shaman who stopped registering his insights too soon. The death of god has broader implications than he outlined.
    about a minute ago ·

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity