Thursday 24 February 2011

On doing a PhD as a 'rite of passage'

Jennifer


I've always longed for a rite of passage, ever since my late teens/early twenties, when I felt like I really needed some kind of initiation into something. I eventually got that by writing my PhD, which was in a final, satisfying sense (because of the approach I chose and the way I chose to understand the theory, experimentally) a shamanistic initiation. I did, almost, go mad writing it.




XXXXXXXXXXX
(Off topic) Is it bad that that sounds really cool to me? I feel the same way about rites of passage, and am hoping to do a PhD, tho I hadn't really connected the two.




Jennifer
It's very much not conventional to connect the two and you could run into all sorts of problems with being misunderstood and at times harshly criticised. Since I was using as my theoretical platform Nietzsche and Bataille, who both sought out difficulties and were energised by being criticised, I found that following the approach I did took me on a very interesting journey indeed. I did end up in a place where nobody understood my project but me, and I wondered if even I understood it.
I finally worked out that I did understand the project -- even better than I'd thought.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity