Saturday 4 February 2012

Some strange, isolated little factoids about me


1. I used to wildly overestimate other people's knowledge and intelligence.  It was a result of my upbringing: the culturally imposed gap between childhood and adulthood was nearly impossible to imaginatively bridge.  Consequently, I grew up to believe that all adults already knew everything there was to know.   This illusion continued right until the end point of writing my PhD, when I suddenly concluded that perhaps all those in authority didn't necessarily already grasp what I was trying to say at a superior level.  My shift from implicit trust to an accurate understanding of how the knowledge is spread around took forty years and led me to this understanding:

2.  all people are basically apes.   Some are intelligent and some are dull, but in either case,  what they say is rarely the tip of the iceberg of some deeper philosophical view, as I had previously assumed.   Most of the time, they're just reacting reflexively to that which they can barely make out with their very poor vision.

3.  I don't like apes!  But I do like apes!  But I don't like apes living in their capes!
I don't like apes. I DO like apes!  I do like apes, living in their capes!
I don't like apes.  I DO like apes. I don't like apes and I do like apes.
I don't like apes and I do like apes and I don't like apes living in their capes.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity