Friday 2 March 2012

How seven years changed me

I used to be a very different sort of an ape. That was in the past and this is now.

In 2005, I still had a lot of untapped energy. Today, not so much.

Back then, I wrote with much more flair, as I had not yet become aware of how most people struggle with ideas that aren't presented with a clear idea of who the subjects are and what kind of forbidden fruit they eat. (e.: "How do they relate to ME, the reader, who aspires to make progress in my liberalism or to worship my god with purer heart?") I didn't think so much of ideological positioning of the subject, in those days.

In the past, I still had at least two cultural voices ringing in my head. One was the strain of Africa, which cautioned me to examine everything I did in the light of whether it would desecrate or honor our war dead. The other was the voice of rationality, which demanding I continue to explore all sort of ways of adapting to contemporary society.

Seven years ago, I was still under the impression that a majority of people knew more about the world than I did. (I've recently been relieved of the burden of that dire intellectual error.)

I used to think too much in terms of metaphysics and unrealistic postulates in the past. In 2005, I saw perceptions worthy of examination for their vital grains of truth. Today I see projections, worthy of disregarding due to their over-familiar and reflexive mode of expression.

In the past, I intended one day to figure people out. Nowadays, I understand that people aren't that complicated: to simplify is to produce all the pleasure, meaning or reality that most humans seek.

In the past, I was earnest and determined to persuade the ones I cared about. These days, not so much.



No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity