Tuesday 27 March 2012

KNOW YOUR LIMITS (REPOST)


I'm in no way someone who can adapt to being coerced into doing something which I haven't chosen to do without a sense of losing my integrity.

All the same, it isn't in my power to maintan societal standards.   That's because the dominance and submission societies in which we live do use coercion as a form of domination. Legislators expect that this will cause us to submit, but this submitting isn't from the heart. Instead, once I submit whilst feeling that such compliance is damaging my integrity, then any social relationship of trust is also undermined. In other words, dominance and submission societies can and will be viewed for what they are, and once this occurs, the use of coercion no longer stimulates a sense of social unity, but destroys it.

A common and naive assumption of the would-be dominators is that no human would do anything unless coerced. According to this perspective, the natural state of a human being is inertia. If that were only the case, we could all be grateful for those in society who present themselves as willing enough to unleash a grenade under our bums. Yet damaged, rotting meat only has an appeal to a certain type of sadist, after a while. Even those who profess to like it will ultimately inhale a whiff the unpleasant entrails they've created.

I like nothing more than to challenge myself, but soon lose my desire to do so when surrounded by nothing more than starved would-be-sadist animals. These are the many who have lost their humanity or have not had the courage and open spaces to develop it in the first place.

I love adventure, when it includes courage, endurance and pain. Yet when I go skydiving, I do not choose the tandem ride, strapped onto an instructor, despite the fact that this approach is thought easier by everyone. I'd much prefer to be responsible for my own free movement in the space around me.

I prefer a static line or assisted freefall. Full responsibility for one's self might seem the utmost scary thing to some people, but not for me.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity