Monday 5 March 2012

Why Do Some People Castrate Their Existences? « Clarissa's Blog

Why Do Some People Castrate Their Existences? « Clarissa's Blog


A castrated existence must be very common — hence the logic of psychoanalysis, which I have never been able to understand, as it seems not to apply to me. The assumption that no matter what somebody is saying, they are lying, would apply as a general principle if everyone castrated their existence.

What I really don’t get is why there is no therapy for those who choose not to castrate their existence. The decision to move in the opposite direction is not without its problems, pitfalls and potential for chaos. Now that I’ve just written that, I realize these are precisely what I wrote my thesis to investigate. There are huge problems with choosing absolute freedom. Alternatively, you could re-interpret absolute freedom to mean the freedom to fit in, to make a buck and to get along with everybody . In that case, you probably wouldn’t encounter so many problems.

Anyway, the refusal to change is weird to me and, since I am rambling over my morning coffee, I will go on to say there are a number of reasons why I feel this way.

One is that I’m of a cultural group of individuals who selected themselves as wanting to live on the boundaries, to explore the unknown and to take risks. Those were the kind of people of whom colonial society  was made up. Secondly, I had no option but to start again, existentially from scratch, when my family pulled up roots and I was 16. So, normality and stability — what are those? I can genuinely say I don’t know how to take my references from any idea of these. More conservative people think I’m trying to put it on when I remonstrate that I have no experience of ‘normal’, or they assume this is a sign of internal instability. Nothing could be more wrong.

To be afraid of life — yes, I can understand that. I’ve often been afraid of certain facets of it and was traumatised many a time by overestimating others, because I have had a tendency to project my own characteristics into those around me, leading me to vastly overestimate other people’s capacity for change.

Any overestimation of their abilities can cause some people to get upset and attack like you would not believe. I guess some people feel uncomfortable to be held to standards they have not chosen.

2 comments:

Clarissa said...

Thanks for the link love! :-)

"What I really don’t get is why there is no therapy for those who choose not to castrate their existence. "

- Actually, therapy only exists for such people. Those who decide to castrate their lives never seek a second opinion.

I also don't see "normal" as a useful category. Which celestial authority will decide for us what is normal and what isn't?

Jennifer Armstrong said...

I just happened to be looking at one of my very old posts when I received this comment.

This one:

http://musteryou.wordpress.com/2006/06/19/soyinka-and-group-therapy/

Cultural barriers to objectivity