Monday 26 March 2012

I grew up (repost)


I never signed any social contract. Nonetheless I was once under the impression that so long as you did the right thing, others would usually do the right thing by you. I entertained an antiquated notion -- probably stemming from my childhood experiences, which were almost always positive -- that most people intended to do their very best in relation to their treatment of others. Obviously, there was a time in my life when I had enough puppy fat clinging to my whispery bones to make me into an idealist.

Then the first waves of reality began to hit. I realised that not only did strangers and work colleagues alike not hold my best interests at heart, but that there were family members too, who were my downright enemies. It took me a while to realise this, as we don't normally expect our own family members to attack us. In fact there are all sorts of ideological notions which persuade us against this recognition. It is not supposed to be "natural", for instance.

As the waves of reality continued to have their effect, I changed. I realised that reciprocation of good will is actually the rarest eventuality on earth. Most times, this doesn't happen. I eventually understood that whilst others may hold me to a position of moral purity and righteousness, they often do this only to pin me in one place long enough so that they can make good their own unconscionable assaults.

I grew up.

Fantastically, my sudden realisation about how things actually work, (as opposed to how they are said to work by those who do not know you and have no interest in your circumstances), brought about a growth spurt.

I am now pleased to report that today I clearly understand how much we are not "all in this together", but that one must choose one's friends and allies wisely.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity