Saturday 22 September 2012

African perspectives and ideas

Psychoanalysis Versus Psychiatry at Wash U « Clarissa's Blog

My response here:

This is interesting because Dambudzo Marechera was thought to have developed schizophrenia, by someone who knew him well, but with my understanding of African culture, I had the suspicion she was inadvertently censuring him for not being more European in his mind and attitude.  There is a great deal in the African way of doing things that has the quality of being chaotic and unpredictable.   I have a degree of that in myself, and there is no way I'm crazy.  It's a form of adaptation to uncertain and unpredictable circumstances.   People who can tolerate a great deal of chaos are surprisingly resilient and don't react with horror or despair to lots of very difficult circumstances.  Rather, we view them with humor.

I've had a lot of people view my humor as horror and/or despair, especially with regard to my memoir, so I think there is a lot of inability, on the part of Westerners, to really get in tune with African perspectives and ideas.



No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity