Sunday 23 September 2012

Call the Midwife

Miranda Hart on Call the Midwife: 'There isn’t much comedy delivering a baby' - Telegraph

The TV drama, Call the Midwife, depicts exactly the kind of culture I grew up in.   The division of labor along gender lines, the moral authority of women and the simultaneously naive and stoic attitudes to life were part of what I was used to.

The humor is the same as that of the Rhodesian culture and the nurses uniforms look a lot like our high school summer attire.

You can imagine why suddenly moving from an early 1950s (rural) culture to a culture of the mid-1980s was appalling for me.   I experienced it as a sudden descent into the ugly on almost all levels.*

Some people would try to make out that I had psychological issues with regard to making this adjustment.  But really, they were largely cultural concerns.

That I am married to someone more than a couple of decades older is also indicative of how much an old-fashioned attitude appeals to me more than a contemporary, materialist disposition.

---

* And, I must add, apes punishing me for not liking aspects of Western culture does not make me like them more.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity