Sunday 25 November 2012

Agitation by authorities

Children Are People | Clarissa's Blog

I totally agree that constantly supplying an exterior source of motivation is counterproductive, no matter what a person's age. It is particularly inappropriate to try to use exterior forces to motivate an adult.

When I was a kid, I went through school and did everything I had to without constant parental agitation. That was easy. Actually, I'd internalized a lot of authoritarianism, so it was double easy. Then people started getting on my case because, "this is the way we do it." After that, I had all number of problems with concentration, with motivation, with the ability to feel respect....

I think people feel that in the absence of a scary deity, “human nature” is incapable of standing alone and must be constantly cajoled into action.

It just so happens that only yesterday I was relating to Mike how, during the time I was a tutor for school-aged children, the only two students who were inner-motivated came from extremely religious families. One was a Coptic Christian, the other Catholic. In all of the other cases, numbering about 150, the parents expected the tutor to be a God stand-in, and impart knowledge magically to their child’s brain.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity