Tuesday 18 December 2012

Avoiding unwarranted help

I’m a Low Class Underachiever | Clarissa's Blog

I avoid the doctors.  I always have tried to avoid medical professionals since a school nurse in Zimbabwe tried to diagnose me as a hemophiliac because I acquired more bruises on my shins than perhaps I had ought to. This was down to clumsiness (hitting myself with the bike pedals every time I mounted) and thin skin. I may also have had a mineral deficiency — my father was found to be low in Vitamin K. Also, the school nurses kept testing my vision, which was found to be less than perfect, which was hugely worrisome since in our kind of physically-oriented redneck society, it implied you were nerdy and defective.

But these days I also now have a more philosophical reluctance to visit the authorities in white coats, which is based on an understanding that a healthy attitude has always improved my health much more quickly and more superbly than pills do, in most cases. So, I prefer to wait it out and see if my body can resolve any difficulties, rather than rush to get assistance. This is the case even with more extreme problems like the dislocation of a ligament in my knee. If the elastic band that keeps the knee together on the outside gets pushed out of place, you can’t walk. This has happened to me through accidents in martial arts training. On one occasion, I had to hobble around for two days, with my husband supporting me when I had to hop to the toilet and back. Then on the second night, I was just sitting on the bed, when I felt a twang in my knee and the ligament has slipped back into place again. I guess it just needed the swelling to go down sufficiently.

So, yes, I avoid doctors unless it’s for something really weird and annoying, like wax in my ears, which I can’t get out.


No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity