Saturday 29 December 2012

I may seem stupid, but I don't think one needs to understand the concept of superiority over others to be a decent human being.

Freeman Chari Man desires the desires of other man, and thats core of human ego and conflict, so decency is only a function of satisfaction

Jennifer Frances Armstrong To desire desire, rather than simply to desire, is the core component of narcissism. One can choose simply to desire, rather than desiring desire

Freeman Chari At that point human development stagnates, every piece of development has simply been a desire to be more relative to others

Jennifer Frances Armstrong I believe you could not be more wrong about that

Freeman Chari What comes first morality or desire?

Jennifer Frances Armstrong false dichotomy

Jennifer Frances Armstrong Morality is not opposed to desire unless you are a Christian ape or other monotheist

Freeman Chari Desire on the other hand is opposed to morality if the end product does not preserve life, right?

Jennifer Frances Armstrong Well I suppose that comes close to a formulation I was playing with, but I don't think it actually works that way except when we are still in the Christian cultural paradigm

Freeman Chari You cant separate morality from collective beliefs, guilt is all a function of cultural and religious beliefs just like how "It is human to to deprive other humans freedom so as to give other superior beings their freedom".#afganstan

Jennifer Frances Armstrong I just don't go along with that cultural relativism. How I treat others is a feature and expression of my own humanity for better or worse, not limited to my cultural values.

Freeman Chari I think it takes another man for another man to realise that he too is human, man in isolation is a mere animal

Jennifer Frances Armstrong Well maybe you can stop tearing at your flesh if you go to church and meet a fellow male?

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity