Sunday 28 April 2013

Detecting toxicity and taking responsibility for it

Sunday Link Encyclopedia and Self-Promotion | Clarissa's Blog

Nobody’s perfect and we all have different health foibles. Our bodily weaknesses can be instructive in all sorts of ways. To have a weakness could be very useful indeed — like the proverbial canary in the mine, it could give you all sorts of warnings. For instance, today’s society has, as we have considered, a lot of narcissistic people in the workplace, making it toxic for everyone. Now, I was one of the people that succumbed to their pressures. My digestive system broke down. I would say this is a sign that has meaning beyond myself. It implies toxicity of a more general sort and my bodily reactions were indicative of just how toxic that workplace was.

Had I chosen not to remain alert as to the broader implications of remaining in a toxic workplace, I would not have changed my lifestyle for a much healthier option. I could have stayed in such a place, and read everything in terms of myself: “I should try harder…I should medicate myself so I don’t feel anything…I should submit more…” Instead I made the judgment that the issue was bigger than I. It was social.

Imagine, now, if more people would refuse to put up with sub-par treatment. Instead of medicating themselves (the tendency of liberals) or blaming themselves (the tendency of rightists), they could take action. Others would surely benefit from their ability to take action, as the abusive treatment would become less acceptable, less normalized, the more people refuse to accept it.

But people want to take what seems to be the easiest option, so they choose not to feel, choose not to see, choose not to reflect and experience. This means that the legacy of the abusive workplace is passed down to the next generation to try to solve.

On the other hand, if one listens to one’s body, one might learn to refuse bad treatment, poor food, contaminated water, and a host of other negative qualities in the environment. After a while, things may start to change.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity