Sunday 14 April 2013

Western Buddhism

Sunday Link Encyclopedia and Self-Promotion | Clarissa's Blog


I used to think my experiences were unique-- certainly the arrangement of my circumstances were so.  But it was actually very reassuring to realize that all sorts of people had also had similar experiences along with similar reactions to those experiences.  it was a kind of turning point in my life was well.   The "special snowflake" thing comes will all sorts of burdens, above all the need to defend oneself against the whole damned world.   That's when I began to understand that it's the structure of experience that is more important than who experiences it.  I've been trying to say so ever since, but apparently many people are resistant to this idea.   It's very important to experience the structures of experience you experience, but those are structures and not exactly "you".

To realize this is an enlightenment of the only sort that matters.   It actually enhances your sense of being you to realize this.  You can pass through all stages of life and enjoy them thoroughly as processes, without feeling like the universe is making a judgement about you. This is, I think, the final resolution of what I've learned from Nietzsche, Bataille and Marechera.  I'm pretty sure it's what Nietzsche wanted to impart with his idea of being a "convalescent" from religion and metaphysics.  One has to pretty much recover from susceptibility to illusions.

Truly, I passed through a very uncomfortable stage when I was trained to think like the majority.   I could not sufficiently find my center.   One is easily duped by images and illusions.  That seems to be how it is for almost everybody in America, Canada, the US and perhaps Britain.

I'm looking at a video about the fights within the atheist community, right now.  I see the same intellectual vacuity and vindictive pettiness that seem to prevail whenever people lack emotional maturity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_7SRa_xQNQ

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity