Wednesday 8 January 2014

Sparring

I've come to the conclusion, with sparring, that you feel a lot more secure if your hands are padded and your headgear is not likely to wobble out of place when punched.  I've been making headway, perhaps for the first time, in my life, with these items in place.

Also, one more thing:  total commitment.  You can permit yourself to retreat and defend so long as you do so with total commitment.  Likewise, attacks should be conducted on the basis of having decided a split-second earlier to totally commit.  If you commit totally to going in and doing a combination, you might get hit, but that is less likely. In any case, it matters less if you know what you are doing.  I'm here to hit or I'm taking a breather and defending.

You have to allow yourself that rhythm.  Sometimes defence is totally honorable.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity