Sunday 31 August 2014

Oblique obviousness

I slightly sided with an American perspective, it seems, in the light that boring people seem to be anti-American, as I have noticed.  So I was the mother of Demi Moore.
 
I was in a hurry to participate in a major boxing match in a major city and somebody was driving me very fast indeed down a freeway ramp and then we would have to turn a corner at the end of the ramp. I knew the speed was going to be so fast we would shoot off the road, so finally I cautioned the driver to slow down.
 
Then I was in a huge school, where everybody knew which group and class they belonged to, except I, as it seemed.  I was late for the start and then waited in the central hall showing a lack of interest.  People seemed embarrassed for me that I didn’t have a group or a class, but they were covering up their own embarrassment, not mine.  I had no interest in joining any class, although standing in the middle of the hallway with some officious but polite people wasn’t my idea of fun either.  Eventually I was introduced to a Warren Beatty type character, of whom it was said, “He can speak two languages in one day.”  He was charged with finding where I originally belonged, which I already took as a nonsensical ideological construction.
 
But he seemed so weak and so genteel, and I had no other option than to stand in the hallway, so I had to acquiesce to go along with these Westerners and their strange ways.  It seemed to me they worshipped a superficial cleverness, and were trying to fit me in on the basis of what sort of cleverness they thought I had.  But in fact if they were really clever they would have been able to see immediately that I oriented myself around strength, rather than cleverness of some sort.
 

It should have been obvious to them.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity