Thursday 16 June 2016

Western anti-colonial ballet sequences - YouTube



Thursday's Child 
Once again, bull's eye. Yes. Western anti-colonialism is deeply and insidiously imbued in modern western thought, or what passes as thought, even at the most fundamental level. I recall, in an introductory course in cultural anthropology at university, noblesse oblige being vilified by the professor, and it seemed that all around me my classmates (although I could not call them peers) were already on board. Not until listening to you have I begun to realize that the single most struggle of my life, the central point of contention, the source of interpersonal conflict, has been against that very vilification. I know myself to have power and obligation, and I am generally hated for it--whether for simply knowing it or for admitting it, I don't know. Might it be that because power and noble obligation do in fact carry the full weight of moderation and obligation that they are so vilified? You say adolescent . . .
Thursday's Child 
(Continuation) . . . I say infantile. With so many abdicating power, and even knowledge of power, western culture seems a baby nursery, everyone crying to have their needs attended to, but no adults to get 'er done. I see a great rush and noise about rights, but there is a deafening silence about power, duty, and obligation. Gosh Jen, this video is chockablock with gems. I've begun to take notes. "Pre-humiliation." Lots to think about. Also, I jumped in impulsively with three minutes of your presentation remaining . . .
Thursday's Child 
+Thursday's Child (And an absence of poise. Makes my heart ache with longing. Poise requires knowledge, self-possession, and * backbone*. Since one is hoping for the moon [hope, usually long-drawn-out disappointment] I will add graciousness to the list. 🌿)
Jennifer Armstrong 
It has been the biggest bone of contention for me as well. I feel that Western culture is deeply anti-natural, because when I am happy to be alive, I want to reciprocate. I want to give more to others and I want to respect those higher than I in power, status and capacity. I want to honour noble sacrifice and even noble mistakes. But everything about my needs is distorted. Not only that, but made to look like the opposite, as if I were crouching down and waiting to spring on others, offering suspect motives.
I will always feel, though, that with any trace of power comes obligation. I don't know why they are vilified, except that they represent a form of transcendence of any pain, in a stoical manner. People dislike and vilify the stoical manner. They see that you are not wallowing in guilt and pain, as they are, and they see this as a way of cheating death.
Jennifer Armstrong 
It is indeed infantile, although the adolescent pose is preferred to deflect criticism.
Jennifer Armstrong 
Yes, it is very ugly. Not sublime.
Hide replies 

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity