Friday 17 October 2008

Emotionalism

I once labelled myself "emotional" as a protest against the vulgar robotic ideal of contemporary worker conformity. I also did so in recognition of my acute awareness of myself. I have a strong dialectical relationship with my dreams and with my subconscious. I'm self aware.

Yet, these days I have come to a change in consciousness about the term, "emotionalism" and what it means to me. Today I identify people whom I would term emotional in both their ways of responding to the world and in terms of their general political rhetoric. It has become more obvious to me, now, that there is a degree of self-debasement in relation to emotionality that I had not been aware of, before recently. In light of my new awareness of how some people use emotionality -- especially emotional blackmail -- to try to get their way, it seems to me that my own attitudes and approaches have never been emotional in this way. Rather I have used emotional energy in much the same way that dynamite is used, to break a quarry. My primary goal has not been to enjoy emotionality for its own sake, but to mine the quarry that I've broken. My interests, in other words, are profoundly analytical.

A significant insight that I now have is that there is little point engaging with someone whose viewpoints are defined by strong emotionality. Whilst I may have mistaken these kind of people for someone like myself in the past, I realise now that they are not intent on mining their own quarries. Therefore engagement with them can provide me with very little of what I need.

1 comment:

Seeing Eye Chick said...

So very true. All analytical functions are defined by suck people as cold and callous, and are looked down upon. No matter what.

How can you have meaningful communication with that? Emotionally toxic people are in a constant state of Monologue. Sometimes when you talk to them, they seem to be speaking back, but most of the time, not so much.

Cultural barriers to objectivity