Sunday 26 October 2008

Sleepy

I see more and more these days, and more and more pieces of the shattered jigsaw of my earlier life start to creep into their positions.

I list my sins as they appear before me, creeping around, as day dawns and the light begins to sharpen:

1. I don't read closely enough. And perhaps all of my sins can be reduced and narrowed into this equation. I never have it seems, and close reading has been what was required of me -- to fit in. But I don't read closely from social situations, and I forget half of what is said to me, and thus I've blown my chances to get along in a nice mood of tranquility.

All of my sins can be reduced into that one formula -- the one recommended most fervently to women -- read yourself and those deemed your superiors closely. Track them carefully as if your life depended on it. And take them literally at their word, so that, should they depart from their word, you will have their very words to prove it, thus redeeming yourselves.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity