Friday 24 October 2008

Nobody

One of the problems with the most cutting edge contemporary consciousnesses that this late, great stage of moth-eaten capitalism has produced: there is no point in engaging with its denizens.

The conventional subject who is struggling with a pre-Oedipal disorder is in no position to relinquish the possibility -- indeed, the imaginary supposition -- that he is everything. The narcissistic posture is as follows: "There is no subject position that I cannot theoretically occupy. Don't hedge me in."

One has to concede then, that this is true, to the degree that the subject believes it to be true. "Neither reason, nor my behaviour, nor anything contingent can hedge in the undefinable essence that is my pure being!" asserts the subject. "You shall refer to me by no name, for I am theoretically everything!"

Nothing I can do or say can either address him or his postures, since language is a mere epiphenomon of this pure being of his. I can respond to him only in the same vein that he addresses me.

"I am everything, and don't define me or essentialise me!" he asserts.

"I hear you clearly," I respond. "My understanding is that I'm to address you henceforth as 'Nobody'. "

2 comments:

Hattie said...

I'm nobody! Who are you?
Are you nobody, too?
Then there's a pair of us -don't tell!
They'd banish us, you know.

How dreary to be somebody!
How public, like a frog
To tell your name the livelong day
To an admiring bog!

Jennifer Cascadia Emphatic said...

Yes, don't tell your name to a bog.

Cultural barriers to objectivity