Tuesday 19 January 2010

A problem with Donald Meltzer


He ties in sexual energy with the direct access to (what I would call) the lizard brain's various modalities of consciousness -- power awareness, knowledge awareness and so on. (I am due to once again review his book, The Claustrum.)

I believe the point at issue here is that one stumbles across some explosive internal psychical energy that enables one to shift between the various levels of consciousness from high to low. Meltzer, who writes in the  tradition of Melanie Klein and object relations, has alighted up sexual energy then, as the energetic means by which consciousness shifts. Of course he also doesn't speak of shamanising, but rather of modes of pathology.

I can understand, in theory, the psychical melting power of sexual desire -- however I'm more inclined to think that rage is more significant in its capacity to open doors of awareness when one's mind has been blocked for too long.  Meltzer, by the way, is hostile to the use of sexual energy in ways that don't create adherence to already existing forms of reality.  It is possible that his conceptualisation of reality is not deeply philosophical but a little schematic.

Once one has entered R-complex consciousness, one has access to a whole modality of thinking whereby identity and power become pliable to other parts of human consciousness.

Cold rage gave me the energy to move in ways defensive and offensive -- as if I had suddenly advance to a totally different level of understanding, that was separate from normal, everyday consciousness, and yet not apart from it.

I did not, at any stage of becoming aware of my anger, lose my 'reason'. Indeed the opposite was true: by accessing R-Complex, everything I did became a thousand times more calculated, so very much more measured, instrumental.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity