Monday 4 January 2010

The ideology of compulsiveness

I have found this excellent source on the 'lizard brain' -- a neurobiological brain system conceptualised by Paul D McLean (who became prominent in the early 50s on).


The reptilian stage (“R-complex” or "striatal complex”) is the earliest [mentality]. Its positive effects on human beings include order, hypostatizing beliefs, a certain type of mannerliness, etc. Its negative effects include human elaboration on the need for power, deception, egotism, and intolerance. [C. Don Keyes, 'Ethical Judgment and Brain Function: An Interpretation of Paul D. MacLean’s Hypothesis.']

The quote, referencing MacClean's work, is by a philosopher. I find it admirable that he takes on this neurobiological material in order to attempt to construct a system of ethics out of it. It produces food for thought.

On the negative side, I do have a criticism. Let us begin by considering what R-complex is, according to Paul MacLean. It is the earliest brain system that developed along evolutionary lines, long before we became human. MacClean, in his work refers to it as the 'reptilian' or 'lizard' brain.

When a philosopher like Don Keyes wants to consider the merits of this R-complex system -- an earlier evolutionary adaptation and mode of processing that differs from the later acquistion of higher processing faculties -- he must consider R-complex "mentality" in relation to what the higher brain systems seem designed to do. In effect, he must consider the "triune system" of the human brain (MacLean's model) as a whole system, wherein the parts, from various stages of evolution, can interact. (Such interactivity is suggested by the fact that we still have the earlier evolved parts of the general brain system. These have not atrophied, which suggests that they are still part of an overall processing facility.)

Having established was R-complex is, I want to quickly address an implicit philosophical premise that is present in the quote from Keyes. What Keyes is suggesting is a kind of ethical determinism: He says, "[R-complex's] positive effects on human beings include order, hypostatizing beliefs, a certain type of mannerliness, etc." Then he adds: "Its negative effects include human elaboration on the need for power, deception, egotism, and intolerance."

I want to suggest that Keyes may well be in error up to a certain point, and only insofar as his rendering implies that there is ethical determinism behind the production of these features, in the way that R-complex is related to the higher parts of the human brain. Now, Keyes does go on to suggest biological indeterminism: "MacLean's hypothesis strikes a balance between genetic predisposition and learning as explanations of human behavior. Furthermore, it allows for a significant degree of indeterminism." But his ethical determinism is what interests us here.

For instance, he includes as one of the likely positive aspects of R-complex: "hypostatizing beliefs".

hypostatize - construe as a real existence, of a conceptual entity
reify - consider an abstract concept to be real
To "hypostatize" is to believe that one's concepts have material validity. Whether hypostatizing has a negative or positive ethical outcome really depends on the degree to which one tends to take this hypostatizing tendency. It also depends on the context: hypostatizing in a ritualistic context will have a totally different effect the participants than hypostatizing in a context that is secular and modern. To hypostatizing gender, for instance, is to reinforce the notion of nonvariability between all men as such and all women as such. It is easy to imagine how imposing such a view upon the world can enhance the pleasure of a ritual activity (which the R-complex seems particularly designed for). Imposing such a hypostatizing perspective onto the complexity of modern life would, however, be a great downer -- in this context, it would be an ethical mistake to boot. The higher mind has a better grasp of natural variability than the lizard brain is able to fathom: So, we would do wrong to treat humans with higher brains as lizards, as a general rule.

Keyes, in the quote, takes the deterministic view that hypostatizing is ethically positive, but I argue that it absolutely depends on the context.

This brings me to my main point. It is the implied aspect of compulsiveness in Keyes model of ethics. Compulsiveness in any form smacks of pathology, and would imply an incapacity to act ethically. The way Keyes frames his perspectives on ethics is too mechanistic, in supposing that certain qualities of action always have the same ethical value no matter how they are employed. Dividing parts of the brain's functions into negative and positive sides essentialises the qualities of lizard brain thinking too much. It is as if humans were never positioned to use egoism, for example, in a beneficial fashion, to promote pleasure in power and the intellect and so forth. Yet this aspect of lizard brain's mentality is also part of our evolutionary endowement, so it is to our advantage not to eschew egoism but to learn to use it more advantageously than in a narrow and unethical manner.

Even though Keyes accepts that there is biological indeterminism in MacClean's model he does not notice the implication of ethical indeterminism with regard to using lizard brain's powers. What the lizard brain gives to human consciousness is not easily divided, as Keyes makes out, into stacks of attributes that are ethically good, or bad. Reasons for this include the issue of changing social contexts, as I have noted. Also the idea from Nietzsche, that the value of egotism strongly depends on the nature of the one who has it. All of this highlights that there is a factor of ethical indeterminism in relation to the way that humans make use of the triune brain.

Finally, there is the shamanistic model, which upholds that compulsiveness in action is abhorrent. The reason the shaman gets to know the inside workings of the lizard brain is for no other reason that mastering it, and no longer having to submit to it as if it were an unconscious force. Rather one wants to pillage and exploit its contents for the use of the higher mind. Nietzsche knew about this method of intellectual advancement, but it seems that many do not understand it.

We should not permit our actions to be determined by any ethical hypostatisations! That is conceding far too much ground and control to the lizard brain!!

5 comments:

profacero said...

OK, I have a compulsion from my lizard brain and it is to negotiate with people who have BPD like characteristics, or encroach or are abusive/shaming or are otherwise invasihm and it is a very, very strong compulsion I can tell you.

Also - and OMG I just realized it, although I already knew it - the compulsion is to allow oneself to be coerced by people because one pities them at some level.

So now I feel freed. Regular people aren't coercive, and one constantly makes allowances for their tastes which may differ from one's own, but this does not mean one has to distance oneself; in fact noticing the differences creates what the self helpers call "intimacy," DUH, as oppossed to enmeshment.

So, my problem with "S" is that I'm enmeshed, and I'm enmeshed because I've allowed him to get away with some coercion, and I've done this because at some level I pity him and/or feel I've rejected coercion that is from his side an enthusiasm, however inappropriate; and so this has all been such a big thing because I've projected all of this stuff about my mother onto him or he really is in her position (he takes big time care of me, but wants to extract things I don't want to give), and so I've been in Hell the past couple of weeks because my Primal Issue has come up, and it's not over, it can come up any number of times, and continue to mess with my life, so it isn't just a question of abusive people and recognizing them and what's proper and what one's rights are, it's also a question of seeing how they are engaging with your primal issue, and of course I've known for decades what mine is but not known how to control it.

This is jumbled but I am seeing something, it is not quite on topic for you but it is related. This primal issue does give some kind of empathy and vision but one wants to harness it for good, not be harnessed by it as I have been.

"S" is also very similar to my Reeducator culturally, and I always knew I was more privileged and sophisticated than that Reeducator so it was partly out of some form of pity or making allowances that I allowed him to take over my MIND!!!

HMMMM that lizard brain. Anyway what I like about this for my purposes is that it offers one a different set of defenses against encroachment. I don't have complete power over what others do but "I" can distance myself from my lizard brain, yet talk to it/me.

*Interestingly, with people like my mother I can just feel my lizard brain jumping onto them, trying to engage them and heal them or at least distract them so that they don't get to the rest of me; perhaps I should tell lizard brain to jump on people that will actually work on, such as me myself ... ????

Not sure about all of this but I think there is something there, some raw material at least to work on.

profacero said...

OK, I have a compulsion from my lizard brain and it is to negotiate with people who have BPD like characteristics, or encroach or are abusive/shaming or are otherwise invasive and it is a very, very strong compulsion I can tell you.

Also - and OMG I just realized it, although I already knew it - the compulsion is to allow oneself to be coerced by people because one pities them at some level.

So now I feel freed. Regular people aren't coercive, and one constantly makes allowances for their tastes which may differ from one's own, but this does not mean one has to distance oneself; in fact noticing the differences creates what the self helpers call "intimacy," DUH, as oppossed to enmeshment.

So, my problem with "S" is that I'm enmeshed, and I'm enmeshed because I've allowed him to get away with some coercion, and I've done this because at some level I pity him and/or feel I've rejected coercion that is from his side an enthusiasm, however inappropriate; and so this has all been such a big thing because I've projected all of this stuff about my mother onto him or he really is in her position (he takes big time care of me, but wants to extract things I don't want to give), and so I've been in Hell the past couple of weeks because my Primal Issue has come up, and it's not over, it can come up any number of times, and continue to mess with my life, so it isn't just a question of abusive people and recognizing them and what's proper and what one's rights are, it's also a question of seeing how they are engaging with your primal issue, and of course I've known for decades what mine is but not known how to control it.

This is jumbled but I am seeing something, it is not quite on topic for you but it is related. This primal issue does give some kind of empathy and vision but one wants to harness it for good, not be harnessed by it as I have been.

"S" is also very similar to my Reeducator culturally, and I always knew I was more privileged and sophisticated than that Reeducator so it was partly out of some form of pity or making allowances that I allowed him to take over my MIND!!!

HMMMM that lizard brain. Anyway what I like about this for my purposes is that it offers one a different set of defenses against encroachment. I don't have complete power over what others do but "I" can distance myself from my lizard brain, yet talk to it/me.

*Interestingly, with people like my mother I can just feel my lizard brain jumping onto them, trying to engage them and heal them or at least distract them so that they don't get to the rest of me; perhaps I should tell lizard brain to jump on people that will actually work on, such as me myself ... ????

Not sure about all of this but I think there is something there, some raw material at least to work on.

profacero said...

Another example: this house. Part of the reason I initially decided not to care about the things wrong with it was that I didn't want to engage my lizard brain in it (I now see). Sit Olympically above everything.

My friend here thought I was being passive and not standing up for my rights, and is not wrong about that, at one level.

But me, if my lizard brain engages, then I think about everything: how it really should be, how it would really work as a business for the owner if it were done right, how to get the owner to see it from my perspective, etc.

Which is what I want to protect myself from; it is hard for me when I've been imposed upon to find a middle ground to push back from, I always have to go to the roots (which usually doesn't work, not unless others are like minded).

So again you're right, it's all a question of separating from R complex but then communicating with it. VERY interesting.

Jennifer F. Armstrong said...

Your lizard brain is seeking to repair your sense of lost wholeness by making you into the mother/nurse of all the damaged people that you come upon.

When I think about the recent autobiographical note I have just posted, there is an interesting element to it in the way that I developed the opposite character structure to my father, in direct reaction to him. So whereas he was the victim of emotional storms, I became supremely self-controlled, almost non-emotional. It may be unrelated but, having the opposite qualities to these damaged people may make us feel that we have to relate to them?

In any case, lizard brain seeks wholeness. It needs to learn to seek it from its own resources, from its depths, rather than trying to obtain that sense of wholeness from a symbiotic relationship with others.

profacero said...

YES.

On the question of having the opposite qualities making us feel we have to relate to them -- I would think only insofar as we're used to that because of having developed those qualities in relation to them.

Now, one simply has those qualities, and should use them toward one's own shadow, perhaps.

I'll have to remember this about S -- I tend not to realize it but he may be one of my collection of damaged people, yes.

Cultural barriers to objectivity